Write Club is a growing community of young writers in Northern Ireland. Write Club FREE online sessions happen on Wednesdays early evenings and in-person monthly. They are led by Kelly McCaughrain, an award-winning Young Adult novelist, and Máire Callaghan, Fighting Words NI super-volunteer. New members are welcome to join Write Club anytime throughout the year.
As a member of Write Club, you will have:
* A community of other supportive young writers from the North and South of Ireland
* One in-person and and two online Zoom sessions per month, with prompts and open writing time, followed by optional readings and feedback from Fighting Words NI mentors
* Monthly Q&A sessions with professional writers, for young writers from the North and South of Ireland.
* A private platform on our website to upload your writing after write club for additional feedback from mentors
* Priority registration for camps, courses, and special projects.
* Publishing, production and reading opportunities, including the annual New Irish Writing supplement by The Irish Times.
Who’s it for?
Write Club is for young people aged 13-18 who already write or want to begin writing. Our members are from all over Northern Ireland - cities and rural areas - and from all community and cultural backgrounds. You're welcome to come along to write flash fiction, short stories, novels, poems, journalism articles, spoken word performances, graphic fiction, narrative game design, scripts for plays, theatre and radio or any other form of writing. Group participants vary from week to week and we have new members joining all the time.
How do I sign up?
A parent or guardian completes the REGISTRATION FORM.
After registration, members and parents will be emailed details of weekly sessions in-person or on Zoom for the young people to join.
See below for other clubs, projects and and workshop series we have run in the past. If parents are interested in a future opportunity in any of these areas please register your interest by emailing Niamh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other projects we have offered to Write Club and newcomers, which may be available in future. Please contact email@example.com to register interest.
To read/listen to writing by Write Club members click below:
- Patrick Maginnis, aged 14, Soulmen (irishtimes.com) (short story)
- Louí Montague, aged 16, Belfast (irishtimes.com) (poem)
- Jack Dickinson, aged 15, The Collapsing Pantomime (irishtimes.com) (script)
- Natasha Manganaro, aged 18, Boxes, Paper Lanterns Literary Journal, issue 5 (poem)
Fighting Words NI Write Club Volunteer Mentors